Thursday 26 December 2013

50 Books of 2013



As a child, I was a terrible reader. It wasn’t that I couldn’t read – it was that I just didn’t want to. I don’t know why this is, but I always make a point of letting my students know that it was the case, if they ask. The reason for this is that I love it now – and when I tell the more reluctant readers just how incredible I find it to be truly lost in a book, I want them to understand that while I totally empathise with their reticence, I don’t want them to miss out. In fact, if I could go back and slap my 13-19 year old self in the face and tell him nearly anything, it would be to READ! (OK, there would be some other stuff I’d tell him too, but reading would definitely be on the list).

Anyway, with that in mind, and inspired by the recent blog by MissSays I thought I’d have a look back at the books (fiction and non-fiction) that I’ve read this year, and talk a bit about some of them.

1.       Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I don’t know if this really counts, as I’d read it before (although not for a long time) but revisiting it as an adult, I was quietly surprised to find that it moved with a much quicker pace than I remembered, and having become a bit better-versed in the Brontes’ poetry in the last year, it was interesting to see the thematic ideas that are common across Charlotte’s poetry and prose.

2.       Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L James
Yes, I went there. I heard so much about this book (a tantalisingly intriguing mix of how much sex there was in it and how absolutely awful the writing was) that I couldn’t help but have a go at it, in the same way that I’ve always been quietly interested in watching Sex and the City 2 just to see if I despise it with the same passion that Mark Kermode (more on him later) did in this frankly wonderful review. Anyway, it turns out I probably needn’t have bothered. Yes, there is a lot of sex in it – jolly good. Did nothing for me, but each to their own. Yes, it’s badly written – in my opinion anyway. Honestly, I was hoping to feel more strongly about it, but as it stands, I was just left ambivalent.

3.       What a Carve-Up! by Jonathan Coe.

4.       Absolute Power by David Baldacci

5.       Engleby by Sebastian Faulks

6.       Failure is not an Option by Gene Kranz
Kranz is an inspiring figure, and the stories of the NASA Space program in the 60s are fascinatingly related here.

7.       Hatchet Job +
8.       The Good, the Bad and the Multiplex by Mark Kermode
I think Kermode is a brilliant writer. Some find him over-opinionated, and I can totally see why, but what’s the point of being a film critic if you’re not going to express yourself in a hyperbolic and fantastically imaginative way?

9.       The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
I don’t mean to blaspheme, but having seen Sherlock Holmes evolve the way he has in recent years, be it in the Jeremy Brett TV series, the Guy Ritchie films, or the two current TV incarnations (‘Elementary’ and ‘Sherlock’), Conan Doyle’s original prose feels quite weighty and slow-moving.  Still, classic English Literature in every sense of the words.

10.   Night by Ellie Wiesel

11.   The Secret History by Donna Tartt

12.   Bossypants by Tina Fey
Don’t miss this, if you haven’t already given it a read. It’s by turns hilarious, biting and thought-provoking while never moving into feeling preachy or boring. I particularly liked it because it was the audiobook version, read by the author, and there’s something wonderful about her delivery.

13.   The Perfect Murder by Peter James
14.   The Cleverness of Ladies by Alexander McCall Smith
Didn’t like these at all. Still, they’re short.

15.   The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald

16.   Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello

17.   The Hard Way +
18.   Nothing to Lose +
19.   One Shot +
20.   Gone Tomorrow +
21.   Without Fail +
22.   A Wanted Man – by Lee Child
I’m not ashamed of my love for Jack Reacher. The film wasn’t much to write home about, that’s for sure, but the books are great. I wouldn’t recommend them on any kind of literary basis, although the prose is quick and easy and nicely constructed, but the character is a truly solid one, in more ways than one, and the stories (while massively formulaic) are pacy, funny, action packed and while they echo the ‘check your brain at the door’ action movies of the 80s, there’s a little more to them than that.

23.   The Fault in Our Stars +
24.   Looking For Alaska by John Green
Worth the hype, although I think teenagers would respond better than I did. Still, read them in a single day and didn’t at any stage want to put them down, so you can’t say fairer than that.

25.   I Am the Secret Footballer +
26.   Tales from the Secret Footballer by the Secret Footballer.
Absolute must-reads for fans of the beautiful game. Not amazingly written, but amazingly insightful.

27.   Mary Poppins by PL Travers
Inspired by re-watching the film and then the incredible ‘Saving Mr Banks’, I thought I would read the original story. I must say, I was disappointed overall, but then given that I think the film is truly amazing and Travers herself hated what they did to her creation, maybe that’s to be expected.

28.   Stoner by John Williams
Recommended by Twitter, (by @Gwenelope in fact) this was described as a “college novel” when I read the blurb. When you hear that term, and see the title, and then realise it was released in the 1960s, you might get a certain picture in your mind – don’t! It’s a beautifully written novel, if a little slow-moving, but it’s perfectly formed.

29.   Mindset: How you can fulfil your potential by Carole Dweck
Fascinatingly insightful – forced me to have a really good look at myself and my teaching.

30.   Where Angels Fear to Tread by EM Forster

31.   Nightschool +
32.   Nightschool: Legacy +
33.   Nightschool: Fracture by CJ Daugherty
When CJ Daugherty came to our school to talk about the books, I thought I had better read them out of a sense of obligation. Little did I realise just how much I would enjoy them. Stylish and funny, with actual depth and realistic teenage angst with a twist, all three books have been part of my ‘recommend to the kids at all costs’ list ever since.

34.   Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

35.   The Lost Relic by Scott Mariani

36.   Inferno by Dan Brown
I don’t know why people hate Dan Brown so much. I must admit, this wasn’t my favourite of his novels, but I’m a fan. I wouldn’t recommend studying any of his stuff at A-Level or anything, but isn’t a bit of harmless escapism what fiction is all about?

37.   Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberley McCreight
This was terrifyingly brilliant, I absolutely loved it. I’m not a parent, but as someone who works with teenagers every day, it struck me very deeply. I can only imagine how mothers might feel reading this.

38.   Gone Girl by Gillian Cross
Another one that’s worth the hype. The second half isn’t quite as good, in my opinion, but overall this is quite the palpable hit. Brilliant.

39.   After Tomorrow by Gillian Flynn
A sort of post-apocalyptic dystopia for kids, well worth a read.

40.   The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan
Very simple, but all the more powerful because of it.

41.   The Song of Achilles by Madeleine Miller

42.   The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth

43.   The Woman in Black +
44.   I'm The King of the Castle by Susan Hill

45.   The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

46.   Dead Air by Ian McEwan

47.   The Marlowe Papers by Ros Barber
A lot of controversy about this one, it seemed – but once I’d gotten used to the verse, it wasn’t anything like as obtrusive as I was expecting. Fascinating idea, and well executed too.

48.   The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

49.   Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

50.   On The Road by Jack Kerouac

51.   The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie
This just re-cemented every reason why I love Hugh Laurie. It was a joy to read. I was expecting it to be a comedy, and while there are some funny bits, it’s a much ‘straighter’ story than that – which was still delivered really well.

Anyway, that’s my 50 books for the year – I’m looking forward to having another go at a brand new 50 next year. I’ve already got 6 lined up on my Kindle, so will get cracking asap! Any recommendations would be most welcome, as always.

PS

No comments:

Post a Comment